At a “mission action plan” meeting on Saturday we talked about three types of people who live in the inner-city:
- The aspirational: I want to get out of here, and will leave as soon as I have the money
- The settled: my family and friends are here, I’m happy and have no intention of leaving
- The trapped: I hate it here but can’t leave because…
When thinking of a vision statement we want to keep all three groups in mind. Our vicar thought the Lord’s prayer might contain the elements of a good vision statement, and so, if we run with this idea, something could emerge along the lines of:
St Luke’s church exists because God wants Blakenhall to be a desirable place to live as its people live out the good news of Jesus Christ.
What effect would this becoming a reality have on the three types of people?
- The aspirational would no longer want to leave
- The settled would be even happier to stay
- The trapped would no longer feel trapped
Give us a clear cross-centred, gospel vision, Father, so that your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.