For anyone else who has stepped into a position of leadership and is wondering about the difficult art of delegation, here’s a brilliantly simple guide to delegation:
How to Delegate
1. Identify a suitable person for the task.
2. Prepare the person. Explain the task clearly. Make sure that you are understood. Leave room in the task description for ingenuity / initiative.
3. Make sure the person has the necessary authority to do the job properly.
4. Keep in touch with the person for support and monitoring progress. Do not get to close. Accept alternative approaches.
5. Praise / Acknowledge a job well done.
(HT ME96 The rest of the article on leadership and delegation is worth a read. It only takes 10 minutes)