I’m thinking through how to launch new home groups and linking them to Sunday sermons. Do we go for a study on the passage the week before or a discussion on the passage/sermon the week after?
If we go before then:
1. We’d probably go for the Swedish bible study method.
2. People arrive with some familiarity of the biblical material.
3. People come with questions – we might do question and answer sessions during or after the service.
4. It would hopefully help people want to engage on Sunday and listen harder.
If we go after then:
1. We’d probably go for a summary of the main points with application questions.
2. People would be able to dig deeper and think more about applying the sermon to home group and life.
3. It would hopefully help people want to engage on Sunday and listen harder.
Has anyone got any wisdom on this? What are the pros and cons of before or after? What have you seen work well?