It’s Christmas. Some people will ask, “What is all the fuss about? What’s so special about a baby in a manger?” 19th Century preacher C.H. Spurgeon gives us a few great reasons. He also says what a real Christian is:
Because he first loved us…This Jesus loved us for no reason whatever in ourselves…we had much deformity but no beauty, and yet he loved us. It is his vast love, the old eternal bond, the love which redeemed, which suffered in our stead, the love which pleaded our cause before the eternal throne; it is this which we give as a sufficient reason why we should love the Saviour, if needs be, even unto death.
We love the Saviour because of his present dealings with us. You have had many sins this week, but you have felt the efficacy of his blood again and again. Some of us have known what it is during the past six days to have the ravishing delights of private communion with him. He has made us glad.
[And] the effects of this love…
- When a man has true love of Christ, it is sure to lead him to dedication.
- True love next shows itself in obedience.
- True love, again, is always considerate and afraid lest it should give offence.
- True love of Christ will make us very jealous of his honour.
- If we love Christ, again, we shall be desiring to promote his cause.
- If we love Jesus we shall be willing to suffer for him.
I hope you have a very joyful, Christ-centred Christmas.