In 1517 Martin Luther posted his 95 theses “Disputation on the power and efficacy of indulgences” on the door of the Castle Church of Wittenberg. What Luther did that morning arguably began the reformation of the church in Europe. There had doubtlessly been much prior discussion but his theses helped focus the debate.
I believe we need an equivalent event today in Europe, not with a view to reforming the church, though that needs doing too, but reforming the ruling class. To use Luther’s words, “Out of love and concern for the truth, and with the object of eliciting it, the following heads will be the subject of a public discussion.”
What 95 theses should we post on the door of the European Parliament? Here’s a dozen to get things going.
1. The collective human mind is not sufficiently powerful to make life work on a grand scale without the direction of God.
2. The doctrine of human autonomy leads to the fragmentation and moral collapse of society.
3. Education is not primarily a means to an economic end.
4. When education is reduced and distilled to a narrow secular curriculum its students fail to develop as whole human beings.
5. The purpose of life is not to fulfill our individual human potential but to glorify God in all that we do.
6. The state is not the saviour and master of the people.
7. Democracy can only function where the state serves the needs of the people and the minority submits to the will of the majority, under God.
8. The secular project creates social and economic inequality.
9. The secular project devalues and disenfranchises the potential contribution to the common good of the less academically able by overvaluing the wealth producing capacity of the “educated”.
10. The secular eschatology concerning the salvation of the planet from the effects of global warming is an ultimately futile project in a world without God.
11. Human rights stimulate self-interest and negglect human responsibilities under God.
12. The internal moral compass does not exist as a biological reality, it must be informed by God.
I’ve reached the end of my capacity for this morning. 12 down 83 to go. Any suggestions or help for the remainder would be very welcome.