Encouragement and accountability are important parts of the truth application process.
It is in the process of change that we begin to see our need for one another, God has made us to be dependent on one another.
Instill Identity in Christ
Doctrine of adoption, children of the King of kings, loved by God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) as he made us and redeemed us by Christ’s blood. We are raised up and seated with him (Ephesians 2). We have been made perfect, holy and righteous (Hebrews 10) Etc
Accountability restores people to where God wants them to be. Not telling people what they are doing is wrong and then walking away, but providing loving structure, guidance, encouragement, and warning to someone who is fully committed to the change God is working in his life.
Accountability provides structure – I want to change but don’t know how to go about it
Accountability provides assistance – walk with the person who faces a tough situation
Accountability provides encouragement – you can change, with God’s help
Accountability provides warning – you will reap what you sow
1. What sort of help will this person need?
2. How often shall we be in contact?
3. Are there other resources in the church which can help?
This is God’s plan for good living:
1. We need God and his living word to be able to live as he means us to.
2. Each believer is an instrument of change in the hands of the Redeemer, for individuals and families in the church.
3. Our behaviour flows from what’s in our hearts. Our hearts express themselves in life’s situations.
4. Christ calls us to be his ambassadors, with his message, methods and character.
5. We must incarnate Christ to bring about change, by sharing in struggles and suffering, and showing his grace.
6. We must guard against false assumptions by asking good questions.
7. We must speak the truth in love. It is easier for people to see problems in others (the speak of dust in other’s eye) than to see their own problems (plank in own eye).
8. We must help people by clarifying responsibilities, offering accountability, and reminding them of their identity in Chirst.
Everyone who believes can do this. Love-know-speak-do. This is biblical, spiritual, friendship.