We had Jenn Bostic’s mournful yet hopeful number, Jealous of the Angels, as the processional at the funeral of a young neighbour this week. It’s a breathtakingly beautiful piece, which matches deep grief with hope of songs around the throne of God. The song ends with a few hallelujahs, which is a good place to start a funeral service. The words of Christ “All who believe in me will live, even though they die” sound more alive after a few really heart-felt hallelujahs. Watch out for the inscription on the base of Jenn’s dad’s gravestone. He’s the man about whom she wrote her song.[youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBg9btpGqKU%5D
- We lost a paradise by sin,
and have gained a heaven by the cross.
Stephen Charnock (1628-80)
Until sin be bitter,
Christ will not be sweet.
Thomas Watson (1668)
The cross once seen
is death to every vice.
William Cowper (1835)
The tear of repentance is shed by the eye of faith, and faith, as it weeps, stands beneath the cross.
Horatius Bonar? (1880s)
Let them that will, repent, that Christ may do for them.
I believe what Christ hath done for me, that I may repent.
Thomas Boston (1720s)
A discovery of Christ
in the light of the Spirit,
wastes, weakens and withers
the body of sin.
Ebenezer Erskine (1730s)
If you will remember Christ's love, you will be lifted up from your crookedness, and made straight.
C.H. Spurgeon (1890)
Live in Christ, die in Christ, and then flesh need not fear death.
John Knox (1572)
Top posts (last 24hrs)
Find stuff on TG
- Had to switch #hignfy off for the second time in recent weeks. Humour has vanished. Funny people who are bitter don't make good TV. 1 day ago
- I had forgotten what a laugh it is at the @SIPS_music Christmas concert when the audience does an active version of the 12 days of Christmas 2 days ago
- Fantastic start to my second @SIPS_music concert this week. Rich theology of "o come all ye faithful" "very God, begotten not created" 2 days ago
- Adam and Eve assurance BBC Beatitudes Burnout C.H. Spurgeon C.J. Mahaney Carson Pue Christ Christian ministry church leadership Church of England covenant of grace Covenant of works David Cameron death divorce Ebenezer Erskine Evangelism faith Fellowship of Word and Spirit From the vicarage Gospel and Law Grace Grace and Works hetrogenous church Holiness Holy Trinity Holy Trinity West Bromwich Homogenous church Horatius Bonar Inner city Inner City Ministry inner city mission Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands Jesus John Piper justification law and gospel liberalism love Mark Driscoll marriage meditation ministry Ministry Burnout Ministry Trainee mission neonomianism Oak Hill College Paul Tripp Pornography Prayer Preaching Puritans reaching the unreached sanctification small groups Song of Songs Spurgeon substitutionary atonement Suffering The Cross the gospel Thomas Boston Thomas Watson Tim Chester Tim Keller tree of life vicarage vision vision statement West Bromwich William Still Wolverhampton
Creative Copyright License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.