- We lost a paradise by sin,
and have gained a heaven by the cross.
Stephen Charnock (1628-80)
Until sin be bitter,
Christ will not be sweet.
Thomas Watson (1668)
The cross once seen
is death to every vice.
William Cowper (1835)
The tear of repentance is shed by the eye of faith, and faith, as it weeps, stands beneath the cross.
Horatius Bonar? (1880s)
Let them that will, repent, that Christ may do for them.
I believe what Christ hath done for me, that I may repent.
Thomas Boston (1720s)
A discovery of Christ
in the light of the Spirit,
wastes, weakens and withers
the body of sin.
Ebenezer Erskine (1730s)
If you will remember Christ's love, you will be lifted up from your crookedness, and made straight.
C.H. Spurgeon (1890)
Live in Christ, die in Christ, and then flesh need not fear death.
John Knox (1572)
Top posts (last 24hrs)
Find stuff on TG
- RT @Olly_Knight: I've put up our song lists, video links & some reflections from Word Alive last week. worshipjesus.co.uk/word-alive-201… #WAEvent2017… 17 hours ago
- Please pray for Malaysian Pastor Raymond Koh's, whose abduction raises anti-Christian fears in Malaysia smh.com.au/world/pastor-r… via @smh 1 day ago
- Well done @albertramos88 on reaching your 1st ATP1000 final. Congratulations! 3 days ago
- Adam and Eve assurance BBC Beatitudes Burnout C.H. Spurgeon C.J. Mahaney Carson Pue Christ Christian ministry church leadership Church of England covenant of grace Covenant of works David Cameron death divorce Ebenezer Erskine Evangelism faith Fellowship of Word and Spirit From the vicarage Gospel and Law Grace Grace and Works hetrogenous church Holiness Holy Trinity Holy Trinity West Bromwich Homogenous church Horatius Bonar Inner city Inner City Ministry inner city mission Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands Jesus John Piper justification law and gospel liberalism love Mark Driscoll marriage meditation ministry Ministry Burnout Ministry Trainee mission neonomianism Oak Hill College Paul Tripp Pornography Prayer Preaching Puritans reaching the unreached sanctification small groups Song of Songs Spurgeon substitutionary atonement Suffering The Cross the gospel Thomas Boston Thomas Watson Tim Chester Tim Keller tree of life vicarage vision vision statement West Bromwich William Still Wolverhampton
Creative Copyright License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Tag Archives: West Bromwich
Psalm 2 begins with a question. Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers gather together against the LORD and against his Anointed One. This simple … Continue reading
Here’s April and May’s copies of “From the Vicarage”. The first was a plea for prayer for A Passion for Life and the second a review of how God answered those prayers. From the vicarage (April 2014) It’s here. A … Continue reading
West Bromwich deanery agreed on the submission of papers of one side of A4 before we vote on the motion on women in the episcopate and CEEC following motion. This is my paper: What happens when Bishops take the place … Continue reading
This is a transcript of a 10 minute talk I gave on Monday 9th May at a West Bromwich churches prayer meeting, UNITE. How many of us know the stories of Gladys Aylward or Jackie Pullinger? Both women really wanted … Continue reading
We woke up to another cold morning in the vicarage with thick ice on the inside of all our windows. There’s a rumour that the canon law requiring the vicar to wear a night cap has never been repealed. I’m … Continue reading
I’m preparing for a meeting this morning with my church elders. At the meeting we’re going to address the vision for the church for the next stage of church life. At present we’ve got two visions shaping up. The first … Continue reading