- We lost a paradise by sin,
and have gained a heaven by the cross.
Stephen Charnock (1628-80)
Until sin be bitter,
Christ will not be sweet.
Thomas Watson (1668)
The cross once seen
is death to every vice.
William Cowper (1835)
The tear of repentance is shed by the eye of faith, and faith, as it weeps, stands beneath the cross.
Horatius Bonar? (1880s)
Let them that will, repent, that Christ may do for them.
I believe what Christ hath done for me, that I may repent.
Thomas Boston (1720s)
A discovery of Christ
in the light of the Spirit,
wastes, weakens and withers
the body of sin.
Ebenezer Erskine (1730s)
If you will remember Christ's love, you will be lifted up from your crookedness, and made straight.
C.H. Spurgeon (1890)
Live in Christ, die in Christ, and then flesh need not fear death.
John Knox (1572)
Top posts (last 24hrs)
Find stuff on TG
- I am 6'5". Getting into a small French car, I told the lady driver how cramped i was because I have a big ham (jambon/jambes) @MooseAllain 1 week ago
- Galton Bridge at sunset. #westbromwich https://t.co/TcmQBMS2ro 2 weeks ago
- Wealth is not profitable on a day of wrath, but righteousness rescues from death. Prov 11:4. What should we seek first each day? Romans 3:22 2 weeks ago
- Adam and Eve assurance BBC Beatitudes Burnout C.H. Spurgeon C.J. Mahaney Carson Pue Christ Christian ministry church leadership Church of England covenant of grace Covenant of works David Cameron death divorce Ebenezer Erskine Evangelism faith Fellowship of Word and Spirit From the vicarage Gospel and Law Grace Grace and Works hetrogenous church Holiness Holy Trinity Holy Trinity West Bromwich Homogenous church Horatius Bonar Inner city Inner City Ministry inner city mission Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands Jesus John Piper justification law and gospel liberalism love Mark Driscoll marriage meditation ministry Ministry Burnout Ministry Trainee mission neonomianism Oak Hill College Paul Tripp Pornography Prayer Preaching Puritans reaching the unreached sanctification small groups Song of Songs Spurgeon substitutionary atonement Suffering The Cross the gospel Thomas Boston Thomas Watson Tim Chester Tim Keller tree of life vicarage vision vision statement West Bromwich William Still Wolverhampton
Creative Copyright License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Tag Archives: Adam and Eve
Over the years I’ve read some good stuff with my Ministry Trainees. Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology, Jim Packer’s Knowing God, John Frame’s Doctrine of God (A theology of Lordship) and The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God, Bruce Milne’s Know … Continue reading
Here are my notes from last week’s Reaching the Unreached conference, probably the best Christian conference I’ve been on. If you weren’t there, the videos will be posted on the RTU blog. As with all my conference notes, these are … Continue reading
These notes were taken in the context of a lecture and are not a full transcript nor are they verbatim. Some ideas may be misrepresented by me. Liam Goligher – Session 2 Book recommendation – Michael Horton, Covenant Theology Genesis … Continue reading
Here’s my notes from yesterday afternoon’s excellent session by Liam Golagher on covenant theology at the Fellowship of Word and Spirit conference, Swanwick 2011. Lots to think about. These notes were taken in the context of a lecture and are … Continue reading
The vote in synod against provision for those who can’t in conscience accept the authority of a woman bishop is sure to cause all sorts of grief and fallout in the Church of England in the months and years ahead. … Continue reading
I’m reading Bruce Milne’s The Message of Heaven and Hell in preparation for my next MMTC lecture, personal eschatology. Eschatology is like making sense of a good crime novel, we don’t get it right unless we understand what happened in … Continue reading