- We lost a paradise by sin,
and have gained a heaven by the cross.
Stephen Charnock (1628-80)
Until sin be bitter,
Christ will not be sweet.
Thomas Watson (1668)
The cross once seen
is death to every vice.
William Cowper (1835)
The tear of repentance is shed by the eye of faith, and faith, as it weeps, stands beneath the cross.
Horatius Bonar? (1880s)
Let them that will, repent, that Christ may do for them.
I believe what Christ hath done for me, that I may repent.
Thomas Boston (1720s)
A discovery of Christ
in the light of the Spirit,
wastes, weakens and withers
the body of sin.
Ebenezer Erskine (1730s)
If you will remember Christ's love, you will be lifted up from your crookedness, and made straight.
C.H. Spurgeon (1890)
Live in Christ, die in Christ, and then flesh need not fear death.
John Knox (1572)
Top posts (last 24hrs)
Find stuff on TG
- I am 6'5". Getting into a small French car, I told the lady driver how cramped i was because I have a big ham (jambon/jambes) @MooseAllain 2 weeks ago
- Galton Bridge at sunset. #westbromwich https://t.co/TcmQBMS2ro 2 weeks ago
- Wealth is not profitable on a day of wrath, but righteousness rescues from death. Prov 11:4. What should we seek first each day? Romans 3:22 2 weeks ago
- Adam and Eve assurance BBC Beatitudes Burnout C.H. Spurgeon C.J. Mahaney Carson Pue Christ Christian ministry church leadership Church of England covenant of grace Covenant of works David Cameron death divorce Ebenezer Erskine Evangelism faith Fellowship of Word and Spirit From the vicarage Gospel and Law Grace Grace and Works hetrogenous church Holiness Holy Trinity Holy Trinity West Bromwich Homogenous church Horatius Bonar Inner city Inner City Ministry inner city mission Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands Jesus John Piper justification law and gospel liberalism love Mark Driscoll marriage meditation ministry Ministry Burnout Ministry Trainee mission neonomianism Oak Hill College Paul Tripp Pornography Prayer Preaching Puritans reaching the unreached sanctification small groups Song of Songs Spurgeon substitutionary atonement Suffering The Cross the gospel Thomas Boston Thomas Watson Tim Chester Tim Keller tree of life vicarage vision vision statement West Bromwich William Still Wolverhampton
Creative Copyright License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Tag Archives: Spurgeon
My ministry trainee has been asked by the DDO (Diocesan Director of Ordinands) to spend some time using the Anglican daily office in preparation for selection conference. He has also been asked to interview me about my devotional life. In … Continue reading
To help start the week on the right note, here’s an extract from Charles Spurgeon’s sermon the memory of Christ’s love. What a wonderful thing it is that the Son of God should love us! I do not wonder so … Continue reading
I love this opening line of Charles Spurgeon’s sermon on Song of Solomon 1:4, The memory of Christ’s love: I Do not think I can preach tonight. I feel so weary, and worn, and ill. Still, I can talk to … Continue reading
I’ve started reading CH Spurgeon’s sermons on Song of Solomon and really loved his first meditation on why Christ’s love is better than wine. These are the first Spurgeon sermons I remember reading. His work is not expository but what … Continue reading
In this extract from The Down Grade Controversy, Charles Spurgeon highlights the danger of both theological and practical Arianism. The former denies the theological principles of Christ as fully God and fully man and the latter denies Christ by an … Continue reading
I’ve begun reading Charles Spurgeon’s The Down Grade Controversy. The following clips from the first chapter briefly outline all sorts of ways in which ministers can drift away from the central wonders of Christ crucified: By some means or other, … Continue reading
This post might seem obvious to some people, but I think I’ve put the final piece of the gospel and law puzzle in place in my mind. I know that it’s really important that I work this though, as Spurgeon … Continue reading